Every year, Gatorade gives an award to the best high school athlete in each sport, in each state. On Thursday, the state announced its 51 boys basketball winners (the extra is from DC) and a few of the recipients will be playing nearby in the future (full list of winners can be found HERE):
* Jabari Parker – Simeon Academy (Chicago, IL) – Only a junior, but one of the top prospects in the 2013 class being recruited by just about every basketball powerhouse in the country.
* Gary Harris – Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers, IN) – Harris chose the Michigan State Spartans over Indiana, Purdue, and Kentucky back in November.
* Matt Costello – Bay City Western (Auburn, MI) – Also named Mr. Basketball in Michigan last week, Costello will join Harris in East Lansing next year.
* Cameron Biedscheid – Cardinal Ritter (St. Louis, MO) – The Missouri-native is headed to play for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish next year.
* Mike Gesell – South Sioux City (NE) – Gesell is headed across the state line as part of a stellar recruiting class for the Iowa Hawkeyes.
* Sam Dekker – Sheboygan Lutheran (WI) – Dekker has exploded onto the national scene in the past year and has been committed to the Wisconsin Badgers since June 2010.